Saturday, April 18, 2009

How I run my bookstore

I began running the Xavier bookstore on the first of December 2007. It was difficult at the time. The number of visitors was very low and at the end of the month, the total selling of books was only 5 million rupiahs. It means the profit was 1.5 million rupiahs. I was anxious if this home based business could support me or not. I began to invest more money into it. All of my money around 70 million rupiahs had been invested in this business buying more books.


There are around five elementary schools and one junior high around my neighborhood. I invested around 30 percent of the money in buying school books. Was I right? NO. That was one of the biggest mistakes. It turned out to be the worst business decision I've ever made in my life. I could not easily get out of the mistake. It took around two or three years until I fully recovered from that mistake.


I suggest that every bookstore make a survey about what kind of books that the town dwellers really need. Books will still become a profitable business. Education has been the program priority of every government. It means that budget spent on books will continue to rise. But bookstores must not rely on government spending. Bookstores have to rely on the people as a whole which are the town or city dwellers. They are the ones that we should target as potential buyers of our merchandise.


It means that the titles of books that we sell must be adapted to the needs of the people. This is the key to a successful operation of a bookstore. by Charles Roring in Manokwari of West Papua - Indonesia

No comments:

Follow by Email